What is Trail Kidz?
Trail Kidz is a program that was created to encourage kids to get outside and enjoy nature through hiking and trail running. We currently offer one-on-one and group sessions on local trails around Los Angeles. Our sessions range from short hikes to long runs up to mountain peaks, over 10,000 ft!
1. Unplugging Together - We all know kids spend crazy amounts of time on digital media nowadays. Getting outside for a hike or run is a great way to reconnect with nature and experience some real life fun.
2. Exposure to Wildlife - We see many different types of wildlife on our sessions such as deer, lizards, hawks, and foxes to name a few. Observing wildlife in their natural habitat sparks kids' curiosity unlike anything else!
3. Building Confidence - Hiking and running is the perfect activity to gain confidence for kids. We get out to trails that vary in levels of difficulty. We start on easy trails and teach the kids with dedication and hard work, they can work up to more difficult and rewarding trails. There's nothing like watching someone get to the top of a mountain they thought was impossible only months earlier!
4. Increasing Fitness - Running and hiking is one of the easiest ways to stay in shape. It improves performance in other activities by strengthening back and core muscles as well as the cardiovascular system. Trail running also helps to keep tendons and muscles in the lower leg flexible and strong.
5. Mental Benefits - Recent studies have shown that regular exercise can help children focus; especially benefitting children with ADHD. It has also been proven that exercising in nature can help to combat stress, anxiety, and depression.
About The Founder
Andrew is an ultra runner and outdoor enthusiasts from Lincoln, Nebraska. Whether it's trail running, backpacking, rock climbing, or skiing, he likes to spend as much time as possible in nature. When he was a child, his parents made it a priority to go on hiking and camping trips, which instilled his passion for being in nature. Andrew has worked with kids for over 15 years and created Trail Kidz to inspire and share his love for the outdoors and living a healthy lifestyle.
Tony is an outdoor enthusiast and has years of experience working with children. He volunteers at HomeLight Family Living and enjoys playing games and reading to the children. Tony enjoys trail running, backpacking, skiing, suba diving, and many other outdoor activites.
Sawna is an experienced ultra runner and adventure guide. She has completed numerous 100 mile races including a 120 mile race in Canada where she snagged a 2nd place finish. She is currently an ambassador for Run Like a Girl, Choose Mountains, Goodr, and GU Energy. She also leads groups on adventures all over the world via Run Like a Girl retreats.
Keeley has many years of experience instructing and leading groups on many different types of adventures such as hiking, rock climbing, backpacking, surfing, skiing, and more. She also holds certifications as a Wilderness First Responder, Search and Rescue Technician, and Pro CPR/AED.
The sessions aren't just about going for a run or a hike. It's about spending time with a mentor who promotes a healthy lifestyle. Our session leaders know how to create goals for each kid that encourage them to push themselves and makes them feel accomplished. The
1-on-1 sessions are scheduled for anytime that works for your child and can be any amount of time you choose.
Our solo sessions are specifically customized to each child's ability and are held at many different locations. This is a great way to let the kids go their own pace of running or hiking and explore some more of LA's trails.
$150 ($30 SAVINGS)
This Package is a great option for those looking to get out to the trails a little more regularly in a group. It includes 6, one hour sessions at a variety of local trails.
*Packages MUST be redeemed within 60 days from date purchased.
1-On-1 Elite Package
$300 ($90 SAVINGS)
This Package is a great option for those looking to get out to the trails a little more regularly in 1-on-1 sessions. It includes 6, one hour sessions at a variety of local trails.
*Packages MUST be redeemed within 60 days from date purchased.
"Andrew has successfully worked with our son, Austin for well over 3 years now. Austin not only enjoys his weekly Trail Kidz sessions with Andrew and Tony, he has also made steady progress in his stamina, posture and running ability. He completed his second 5k a few months ago! The photos the session leaders send after each session is a thoughtful and welcome touch and we delight in seeing Austin in the beautiful running environment Trail Kidz provides. We haven't found anything like it and we're grateful to Andrew and Tony for creating such a unique and important opportunity."
"Trail Kidz is the best! Andrew led our son, Will, through outdoor running adventures that brought joy, tranquility, and a tremendous sense of accomplishment to Will. Andrew is a responsible, friendly running companion and provided an energetic and thoughtful mentorship to our son. Andrew communicates well, provides gorgeous photos of the runs, and really cares about his Trail Kidz runners. Seeing Will at the top of his Mt. Baldy run with Andrew was a highlight of our year!"
"Trail Kidz ROCKS! Our son, Logan, looks forward to his weekly runs! He loves the challenge, the fun trails, and being outdoors enjoying nature! Andrew is such an awesome session leader and we can't thank him enough for the love of running he's instilled in Logan."
How and when do I pay for the session?
We have a very user friendly invoice program that makes it easy to make a payment with a debit or credit card. Online mobile payment such as Venmo or PayPal are also accepted. We ask for the payments to be made before each session starts.
What is the cancellation policy?
When a session is confirmed, the session leader is setting aside that time out of their day for you. Please respect that by giving a cancellation notice 24 hrs before the session to avoid a cancellation fee of 50% of your original session fee.
What does my child need to bring?
Trail running shoes or hiking boots are recommended depending on the activity for traction and stability. We can help pick out a right shoe for your child if needed. Hats and sunglasses are great for sunny days. We provide water for every session and a snack for longer sessions.